The school has roots in the highly successful and popular Light Academy schools located in different cities across Kenya and is dedicated to the international curriculum. At LIS we go beyond producing academically competent students (which is part of our culture) and also bring up socially responsible and culturally sensitive individuals who are truly worlded citizens. Located in the serene Karen suburb of Nairobi off Lang’ata Road, LIS boats a quiet environment conducive to richly rewarding learning experiences as our students have very few distractions to contend with.
Light International School (LIS) is a unique co-educational day and boarding school that offers the Cambridge International Curriculum from Kindergarten (Aged 3-5) through to A- level (from Year 7 to Year 13) to students from diverse geographical and cultural backgrounds.
Our school pays particular attention to offering students opportunities to participate in national and international project Olympiads, opportunities that have seen a great many of them go on to shine in different fields in events hosted in different countries across the globe. Also, we have been keen to bring some of these competitions home to Africa and in this regard, we take pride in being the first school to host the East African Round of the world-famous World Scholar’s Cup. We have since hosted this annual event that brings together primary and secondary school ‘scholars’ from all over East Africa and beyond to showcase their mastery of world events, debating and writing skills as well as engage in intercultural exchanges. In addition, aware of the urgent need to secure and save our environment for future generations, we founded a popular, unique project Olympiad dedicated to the environment-Golden Climate International Project Olympiad (GCIEPO)-which we host annually. GCIEPO is the biggest competition of its kind in East and Central Africa. It attracted participants from over 30 countries on its inauguration in 2011 and has consistently enjoyed an average participation of 20 countries each year since. It is a completely non-profit competition aimed at promoting a global understanding of environmental issues and the realisation of sustainability of the same, while also providing challenges and opportunities for students that will equip them with the skills and knowledge needed to be the leaders, scientists, and engineers of the future, agents who will promote and contribute to the promotion and protection of the environment throughout their lives.
Our warmly home-like hostels have something unique about them-the availability of a loving and caring team of carefully selected former students and other more mature members of staff, working under a dorm master, to keep order there. These students’ ‘brothers’ help to ensure that the students are responsible and orderly whenever they are in their hostels.
LIS boasts of a highly motivated staff from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds that work in harmony, tapping into the richness of this diversity. This highly motivated, dedicated team works unsparingly to ensure that the students entrusted to us leave the school with value added education. It is to this great learning experience we open our doors to eligible students every single year.
We are committed to delivering;
- morally upright,
- socially responsible and
- academically competent individuals to the society.
- To inculcate moral values set by society and religion
- To awaken the self-consciousness in every pupil;
- To inspire the hearts and minds to endeavour positive effects on others,
- To appreciate cultural differences and become environmentally conscious;
- To offer quality education harmonized with the contemporary approach and fortified by technology.
Motto: Access to Success
At the Light International School (LIS):
- We aim to develop a love of learning, which will remain with the individual long after the process of formal education has finished.
- We will provide a balanced and broad curriculum, which will include all students of different abilities and needs.
- We offer a range of extracurricular activities and trips to broaden the experience of school for our students and to enrich their learning of academic and social skills.
- We will encourage cross–curricular learning, supported by advancements in technology wherever possible to enhance the learning of our students.
- We will provide our students with a stimulating and caring environment to learn within, where the development of the whole child is a priority. We also encourage our pupils to develop as independent learners who can make positive choices for their own learning and development.
- We fully encourage parents to take an active role in their child’s education and development.
- We aim to reward achievement of all members of our school community for their successes.
Our students are members of their local community and of our host country, Kenya. We recognise our students come from a multitude of cultural, religious and ethnic backgrounds. We therefore seek to provide a secular education that reflects and draws from this diversity by embracing the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship.
Un Declaration of Human Rights
The Light International School believes that its mission, aims and objectives are consistent with the spirit of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights and that the school operates within this spirit. We hope that all members of our community will support this, in principle as well as through their actions
The School is accredited as a Cambridge University International Exam Centre for IGCSE and A Level Diploma Programmes, which are recognised by universities and colleges throughout the world, as well as Kenya.