Light International School lays great emphasis on the wellness of the soul and mind. The school takes guidance and counseling very seriously, a fact illustrated by the fact that it has a Guidance and Counseling Department run by an in-house professional counselor. Guidance and Counseling focuses beyond academic issues; it also focuses on other aspects of life that per-teens, teenagers and young adults grapple with.
The school counselor’s first professional responsibility is to the students. The educational, academic, career, personal, and social needs of all students within the school setting, from early years to grade/year 13, are the focus in our planning and delivery of a developmental, comprehensive guidance and counseling program. This is done within a stimulating, warm and supportive atmosphere.
The school counselor establishes and maintains an ongoing professional, collaborative relationship with school staff, parents/ guardians, colleagues and other professional associates in the best interest of the students with a view to increasing opportunities for success in the lives of all learners.
Our services offered include:
• Promoting counseling in support of the education of students
• Providing personal counseling (one-on-one individual sessions)
• Referring students to other services and agencies according to their needs
• Promoting staff development in the fields of counseling
• Facilitating parenting skills programs and organizing counseling talks
• Organizing in-service courses and professional development sessions
• Contacting parents regarding students’ holistic development and other specific problems
• Contacting parents on their children’s personal development and educational achievements.
The school counselor works within the limits of the law, within the policies and procedures of Light International School, as well as within the ethical requirements of the association of which the counselor is a member.