Light International School provides some of the best, hygienically prepared meals you can find anywhere. It is said that Exercise is the King and nutrition is the Queen, put them together and you have a Kingdom. We, as a department passionately do the Queen’s act. We serve our students with a balance diet all the time. Thus our diets include the right amount of calories and nutrients to maintain a healthy body weight and general well-being, which is critical for mental and physical activity.
We, are aware that our students, or at least most of them, are at that stage when individuals experience a growth spurt, a healthy diet is necessary to ensure adequate nutrients especially calories, protein, calcium and iron. The school has indeed adopted the Healthy Diet and Physical Activity (WHO, 2004) which recommends the inclusion of nutrition education in school programs by:
1. Providing knowledge on the relationship between a good diet, physical activity and health.
2. Addressing safe and hygienic preparation and consumption of food.
3. Allowing students to identify barriers to making healthy food choices and solutions to these barriers
4. Involving teachers in passing health-related messages to students through guidance and counseling sessions
Due to their heavy involvement in physical activity, children and teenagers have caloric requirements that range between 2500 and 3000 calories. Thus, typically our menu provides:
1. Carbohydrates (55-60)% of total calories
2. Protein (15-20)% of total calories
3. Fats consumed sparingly (less than 30% of total calories).
4. Fruits/ desert and vegetable salad.
LIS diets are richly balanced, deliciously and hygienically prepared and quiet and healthy